Transfer to OVU
Transfer to OVU Today! Ohio Valley University offers an extraordinary educational experience in a Christian environment. And the process to transfer is simple.
Easy Does It
Transferring to OVU to finish your degree is an important decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way. Our counselors work hard to make sure your experience is simple and easy. From the moment you apply, to your academic credit evaluation and official campus visit, you’ll feel at home in our comfortable Christ-centered academic community.
OVU has articulation agreements in place with many regional schools, so students transfer seamlessly every year from universities and community colleges around the country. Students transfer to OVU from West Virginia University-Parkersburg, Marietta College, Fairmont State, OU-Zanesville, Washington State Community College, and many more.
Transfer Admission Requirements
In order to be accepted for admission at OVU, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 from your previous college or university.
- See "Transfer Credits in the OVU Academic Catalog. Requirements may vary by college or program.
- If you do not meet the academic criteria, you may be eligible for provisional acceptance. Ask an Admissions Counselor for more information.
Transfer Admission Process
We’ve designed the transfer admissions process with your unique needs in mind. To get started, here’s all you need to do:
Apply Online Today »
To complete your application, we need a personal (non-peer/family) reference. Potential personal reference examples include: youth minister, a friend's parent, job supervisor, coach
Send your references the following link to fill out our online form:
Transcript Request Form
Download and complete the Transcript Request Form to request an offical transcript be sent to OVU.
Transcript Evaluation by OVU Registrar
After evaluation you will be notified of accepted and approved coursework (see "Transferring Academic Credit" below). Depending on the number of credit hours accepted:
If less than 32 credit hours are accepted we will need official high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores:
Once complete, continue to step 5
Meet with your Academic Advisor
Contact your Admissions Counselor to set up a meeting
Welcome to Ohio Valley University!
Transferring Academic Credit
When it comes to transferring academic credit, we’ve got you covered. The OVU Registrar ultimately determines what coursework will transfer. After you apply and submit transcripts from all previous colleges/universities, your file will then be given to the Registrar for transfer credit review and approval. You will then be notified of the results by your Admissions Counselor.
View the OVU Catalog entry on transfer credits for more details.
Transfer Student FAQs
How do I know if I am a transfer student?
You are a transfer student if you have been enrolled as a regular student in another college and earned credits there at any time in your life. (Earning college credits as a high school student does not make you a transfer student.)
What documentation do you need from me besides my application?
We will need your Official Transcripts from every college/university you ever attended, no matter how many credits you earned. We also need your high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores unless you are transferring more than 32 credit hours. (please see the Admissions Process)
How do I get my courses transferred?
Only the Ohio Valley University Registrar can determine what courses will transfer. Complete your application process and submit your transcripts from your previous colleges/universities. Your file will then be given to the Registrar for review and transfer credits approved. You will then be notified by your Admissions Counselor regarding the results.
What else do I need to know as a transfer student?
Not much. The process for admission and enrollment is pretty much the same. Just know that we value you and will do whatever we can to make the process go smoothly.
Get the Guide!
Transfer Scholarships Opportunities
In addition to numerous OVU academic scholarships available to transfer students, you’ll want to check out special scholarships that may apply to transfer students and residents of specific geographic locations. For additional details see an Admissions Counselor today.
- Wood/Washington County Scholarships: Residents of Wood County (WV) and Washington County (OH) may be eligible to receive up to $5,000. Apply Today
- KS Foundation Scholarship: Residents who live in Stark County (OH), and eight counties surrounding it, may qualify for up to $1,500 in scholarship funds when transferring to OVU. Apply Today
- Academic Scholarships: To qualify you must have 32 or more credit hours and a cumulative GPA of 3.25 from your previous college(s). Find Out More
- Music Scholarships: Qualify for awards by participating in performing ensembles such as the OVU Jazz Ensemble or OVU Singers. Auditions are required. Apply Today
- Board of Trustees Scholarships: Students who are the children of paid full-time ministers may qualify for these special awards.